“I’ve simply no clue where to start with motorsports data analysis!”
Motorsports data analysis course to help you precisely lower your lap times.
I’ve been using data for almost as long as data has been around &
I gotta tell you, I learned a ton from this.
You want to be on race winning pace as fast as possible. “Seat time is lap time” as they say. But your seat time is limited. In fact, it takes so much investment, commitment and (frankly) sacrifice to even get out, you do not want to waste a second more of your precious track time. Could a motorsports data analysis course help you?
You know that buried in your pile of racecar data are extraordinary insights. Astonishing knowledge that you wish you could apply to increase your chances of winning races.
Instead, far from giving yourself an “unfair advantage” you feel baffled. Staring confused at complex lines on a screen.
All you want is to know precisely what you need to do to improve. How to go faster. Where you can carry more speed. How you can brake better. Where you can get on the throttle earlier …
In short, you want to know that you have extracted everything your race car has to offer. And if not, you want to know precisely where, how and what you have to do in order maximise your racing cars’ potential.
After all that is why you invested (or are considering investing) $000’s in a “proper datalogger” rather than a phone app or a simple lap timer. You want the potential of knowing precisely what you need to do to improve, just like every pro racing team on the planet …
“I’m pretty comfortable with my knowledge and abilities on track but I think data can reveal my weaknesses.”You ??
Motorsports Data Analysis Software Is Far From “Intuitive”!
Despite promising to be the answer to your hopes, motorsports data analysis systems are far from intuitive.
Data systems can be complicated. They seem to have been designed by people who delight in hiding what you want to see, only to confuse you when you do find it.
You are fed-up of aimlessly searching for (and skipping through) videos on YouTube, forum threads or paddock conversations with your local “data geek” that leave you with more questions than they answer!
You are left wondering things like:
- Where to start (and what to look for!) in the squiggly lines?
- If it is worth the effort to learn motorsports data analysis? (lets be honest 🤷♂️)
- How (and even if) data applies to your level of driving?
- What to do with the numbers once you have them.
- How the numbers relate to your performance?
- How to apply your new knowledge (given your quali/race/track session is now over!)
- Whether the numbers are accurate (and what it means if they are not?)
- How the systems actually work (so you’re prepared if something looks odd …)
- What “odd” would look like (!)
With little idea of what “good” looks like, you jump back and forth from data scarcity to data overload. You may even have considered giving up. Resigning yourself, deflated and defeated, back to trial and error.
Your sophisticated data system, with all its promise, all its hidden secrets, in serious danger of becoming a very expensive lap timer.
But what if it did not have to be that way?
You Can Gain Certainty On How To Drive Faster
What if you could drive out of the pits knowing precisely what to do to get the most speed from the racecar?
How would it feel if you KNEW:
- The best braking points for every corner?
- How hard and how much to trail brake each turn?
- The best gear to be in at all times.
- Where to place the car on each straight, each corner entry and every exit?
- The best racing line to give you the best apex speeds.
- Precisely where you are gaining (or loosing) lap time around the lap so you can piece together your best efforts.
- How you can, objectively, assess the best opportunities in your own driving performance?
- Whether you are using all your racecars grip, or whether (and where) there is more available?
- How to prioritise your analysis assessments so you are not overloaded?
- How to distill simple actions you can easily remember to perform on track?
What if you KNEW, without question, precisely what you needed to do help yourself (or help others) more efficiently and more effectively to get on race winning pace faster?
The Ability To Coach Yourself
Of course, you know this is all possible. You have heard the sales talk. You also know every pro motorsports team on the planet would not contemplate going racing without a fully instrumented racing car.
Perhaps therefore, you just do not believe you can do it?
After all, racing is for fun. No-one wants a return to hated Maths or Physics classes. You simply want to race. To drive as fast as necessary to be competitive at the front.
You are not after an engineering degree or a heavy motorsports data analysis course. You simple want to know how to:
- take the data from a simple GPS logger,
- objectively (and quickly) determine where you can improve,
- prioritise your best opportunities,
- go back out, and
- drive faster lap times.
I get it. Really I do.
Despite several great resources online they are not well structured. You can waste hours aimlessly searching for help, all without really knowing what you should be looking for.
It does not have to be that way.
Imagine knowing specifically how you could maximise your racecar’s speed, all around the lap, every time you hit the track – and all by this time next WEEK !
Yes, racecar data analysis can result in immense frustration … but it doesn’t have too.
2 Options For A Lifetime Of Lap Time Gains
Below you will find two options that will help you start to gain 10x more value from your data.
The aim is to help you help yourself by (finally!) ensuring you gain a meaningful return from your hundreds (even thousands) of $$$$’s worth of data logger investment.
Not once either but for your lifetime in racing – a lifetime of reduced lap time returns.
By starting from a step-by-step, structured and solid foundation these motorsports data analysis course’s will ensure you are clear on:
- What motorsports data can and cannot offer.
- The precise areas you (or even someone helping you) should be looking for.
- How to put your discovery’s into action (i.e. how to reduce your lap times !)
- A proven process that works.
- What good looks like !!
Both options assume you are a COMPLETE BEGINNER. Honestly, both options contain no-geeky BS.
If you don’t believe me, watch the sample videos below to see the style. Also know my young kids signed off most lessons! Straight up! 😊
The assumption is that you are starting out from complete zero – really, this is tech subject education designed for the non-technical.
Both options achieve the aims here. The second option simply offering you more value with less risk.
Option 1: The Pro v Am Masterclass
If anyone can extract the maximum from your racing car a Pro driver can.
Despite our own (hidden?) driving confidence, we understand that someone who earns their living from race car driving is likely to be better than us.
Putting a Pro in your car and you’ll discover how fast it can really go.
Despite likely feeling a bit humbled on the stop watch, the bigger issue is that it is not clear how YOU could learn from what they did.
You could talk with them of course. They would give you some great advice I’m sure.
Without seeing how YOU perform however the advice would be nothing other than fairly generic. You would not be much further forward (and several $0,000’s lighter in the pocket!!!)
What you want is to know is precisely:
- Where they are gaining or loosing against you.
- How they are braking, turning, and applying the throttle.
- The line they are taking and how they are approaching each section of the lap.
In short, what does a Pro do differently to make them so fast?
In this Pro v Am Masterclass you do not have to invest anywhere near that amount to know what a Pro would do. Recently I was able to learn from having non-other-than Pro driver Scott Mansell (Driver 61) race my car.
Think of this class is a practical, easy to digest worked example of a full fat motorsports data analysis course. One where you get to sit on my shoulder and see exactly how to interpret motorsports data and form a concrete driving plan to go faster.
Working through the approaches taught in depth in The Complete Beginners Guide To Motorsports Data Analysis (Option 2) you will see exactly what Scott Mansell was doing to make him so fast.
You might be surprised that even Pro drivers can find areas to improve using these methods – I take you through all this and more.
By the end of this 1 hour Masterclass you will:
- Know precisely what sets the Pro’s apart from the rest of us,
- See the best racing line to take,
- Know the best gears to be in for each corner,
- Be certain exactly how and where to brake around the lap,
- Discover how to assess if the driver is using all grip of the tyres,
- See how this knowledge can be distilled into a simple driving plan you know will be faster,
- But, most importantly, you’ll be able to start to use YOUR OWN own data to discover these same race winning insights for yourself.
I appreciate you might not have a Pro hanging around but let me reinforce the point here.
Having the Pro in the race car aims to remove a level of doubt about the conclusions you can draw from the data.
He is faster (in fact over 1 sec faster than the whole rest of the field in the same car!) The data shows it. You can see it.
I show you the complete methods needed to understand how to determine his speed. You do not need a Pro in your car.
Repeat the process I show you in this Masterclass and you will be able to assess your own data as if you had had a Pro drive your car.
Option 1 summary:
The benefits of this option are that it is a short sharp, yet properly structured introduction to all the all the key beginner motorsports data analysis course principals.
You will see each method used in racing driver assessment clearly explained in context.
By the end of the class, you will not only know how a Pro would drive your racing car but also how to construct a solid plan for you to improve your own lap times.
Think of this class as a worked example you can immediately apply to your own data analysis.
Option 2: The Complete Beginners Guide To Motorsports Data Analysis
Learn motorsports data analysis in MUCH more depth – but still on easy mode.
Building on option 1, in this comprehensive course takes things right back to first principals.
Starting with the fundamentals by the end of the course you will have new skills and confidence. Laser-focused on practical application and actionable insights, topics include:
- How to GPS data loggers actually work? What do you need to know? How can get the most from them?
- What data will they give you? What can you ignore? Where should you focus? What should you be looking for? What does good look like?
- Is there a process you can follow to make sure you don’t miss anything? What is that?
- What can you learn from the way Olympic coaches develop elite athletes to maximise your understanding and feedback? (seriously!)
- How can you distill your understanding into a solid action plan that you know will improve your lap times?
- If put into action on track how can you be sure that it is good?
- What should you focus on if you are novice, front runner or even a pro driver?
You’ll learn how and where you can systematically improve your racecar driving. You will know how to improve with more precision and more confidence than ever before.
After completion, as well as being able to acquire and decode data from your driving, you will also be able to unlock your abilities to develop both yourself and even help others, as a racing driver or even better coach.
Through the simple, self-paced video lessons you will become confident to analyse your motorsports data.
On Completion of This Motorsports Data Analysis Course
By the end of the course, you will be able to confidently answer questions such as:
- Where are you gaining and losing lap time?
- Where can you improve on the brakes?
- Have you selected the right gear, at the right time?
- What should you focus on for the next session?
- How the data can help WHILST your are still in the race car (seriously!)
Critically, this motorsports data analysis course is not only focused on understanding the squiggly lines (although this does make up its majority.)
Learn A Proven Process (Not Only The Data Analysis Techniques)
Uniquely, this course aims to give you a complete end-to-end process. A process completely agnostic to any particular type of data logging system.
A race proven method that you can employ from the moment your race car comes into the pits to the moment it leaves again.
Providing you with a structured foundation. After taking this course you will be confident to analyse yours (or other peoples) data and quickly determine your opportunties to improve.
You will know clearly how to put them into actionable insights and how to build on your data analysis skills fundamentals.
What Is Included?
Organised into three distinct modules, this self paced online motorsports data analysis course contains over 4 hours of guided instruction, 27 high-res PDF handouts and 6 interactive quizzes.
The course content is organised as follows: (Free sample lessons are below)
Part 1: Understanding Data Acquisition
- Data Types
- How Loggers Work
- Into To GPS
- Quiz 1: Understanding Data Acquisition
Part 2: Data Evaluation and Analysis
- Lap Times
- Why Lap Times?
- The 4 Key “Times” Of Interest In Motorsports
- Quiz 2: What Can You Learn From Lap Times?
- The Speed Trace
- What Is The Speed Trace?
- Live Telemetry Example – Associate Data To On Track Feeling
- What To Look For?
- Which Is Faster?
- Discovering Driving Inconsistency
- Braking Point Analysis
- How Well Are You Braking?
- Quiz 3: Understanding The Speed Trace
- Lap Time Gain and Loss
- Where Are You Loosing Lap Time?
- Live Telemetry Example – Lap Time Gains And Losses
- How Is Delta-t Derived?
- 2 Detailed Worked Examples Using Delta-t
- Quiz 4: Learning From Delta-t
- Longitudinal Acceleration
- What is Long Acc?
- Live Telemetry Example – See How Long Acc Matches Driver Inputs
- Detailed Worked Example – Finding Specific Driver Opportunities
- Quiz 5: Lessons From Longitudinal Acceleration
- Data Evaluation Summary Section
- Data Evaluation In Summary
- Where Next For Your Data Analysis?
Part 3: Forming The Driving Plan
- Great Feedback (Inc To Yourself!)
- Intrinsic Feedback – Learning From Olympic Coaches
- Effective Feedback – Your True Focus
- Skill Development Secrets
- Quiz 6: Learning From the Pro’s In High Performance
- Evaluation To Action
- Assess Your Driving Level
- Prioritise For Your Driving Level
- Distill Your Plan
- Motorsports Data Analysis Course In Summary
- Final Thoughts – You Made It!
FREE Sample Lessons:
In this lesson from Part 1 you learn about Data Types:
In this lesson from Part 2, lesson you learn about using the Speed Trace to uncover driver inconsistency:
Option 2 Summary
The benefits of Option 2 are that you learn not only how to do the data analysis but what is going on under the surface, how best to prioritise and then apply your insights. Each lesson slowly builds one on top of the other, towards a proven process you can action on track.
In this unique motorsports data analysis course you will:
- progress from complete beginner up to a level where you can confidently analyse your data AND put this into action.
- have clarity on the pros and cons of what motorsports data can and cannot offer.
- know the key methods and data used for assessing (all levels of) driver performance.
- be able to form solid driving plans you know will improve your lap times.
Your data worries removed. Clarity, Confidence & Certainty in their place.
Invest In Yourself TODAY:
Pro v Am Data Analysis Masterclass
Budget option. see all course principals in action.
- 1-hour Video Masterclass that can be viewed as many times as you like
- Practical, easy to digest worked example comparing Pro to Amateur driver
The Complete Beginners Guide To Motorsports Data Analysis Course
Learn motorsports data on easy mode.
More lap time than a new set of racing tyres, plus a lifetime knowledge that will never wear out!
- Instant access – self-paced, rewatch/refresh whenever you need.
- 3 structured modules
- 4+ hours of professionally researched and edited instruction.
- 29 quality video lessons
- 3 Live telemetry demos
- 27 High-res PDF handouts
- 6 (easy) quizzes
- Designed for mobile
- 24/7 lifetime access on any device, anywhere, any time.
- Universal knowledge you can apply to ANY datalogging system.
- Equally applicable in the real world or sim racing.
- A proven step-by-step process YOU can use to help yourself OR to help others – as an instructor, coach or even a junior data engineer.
- A lifetime of lap time for less than 1 set of tyres.
Vagueness is Slowness.
Stop wasting ANYMORE track time
Sign-up and within hours you will start to know precisely how YOU can become the racing driver (or coach) you strive to be.
Find out when you can join our next batch of students
Seating is limited, and first come first serve. Put your name and email below to ensure your don’t lose your spot!
Meet Your Instructor
Hi there, I’m Samir Abid. I’m an engineer from Warwick, UK. For the first 10 years of my career I worked in vehicle dynamics, developing suspension systems for road and racing cars. For the last 10 years I’ve run a sports data engineering consultancy. I have always raced at club level.
During these experiences, I have seen the struggle, frustration and intimidation people have with numbers and data. My mother was a teacher and I guess I have that desire to help in me too!
I now share my knowledge and experience with people like you, in order to help the club level motorsports racer gain more enjoyment from their own racing.
You get the enjoyment of putting everything you learn into practise. This course will give you the tools to discover for yourself where and how you can use GPS data to improve. It will help you focus and form a prioritised plan. You will have the skills to know, for certain, what you need do to race faster.
Yes I can help you understand everything covered in the course. If you want personalised advice on interpreting your actual data then please get in touch once you have signed up.
The beginners course is self paced. You can take each part at your own pace. I would expect you to be able to complete the lessons within a week. You should be able to apply the knowledge immediately. This is only the start of your journey – the best never stop learning.
You should buy the one best suited to your budget. I do give you some guidance within the GPS introduction lesson on what to look out for with these systems. The popular systems are AIM, VBOX and APEX Pro (remember to pick up your discount code if you go for the APEX.) These courses are vendor independent – the lessons apply equally to any system.
Drop me a note at [email protected] and we can sort you a multi-user licence. As it stands you are buying an individual licence for your own personal usage.
Currently just English. If you are interest in translating it, I’d be interest to hear from you.
This course is design to take you from zero. I anticipate you are familiar with circuit racing but that is it. All the maths is explained with simple charts and diagrams. There is no maths in the quizzes – this is meant to be fun right! If you do struggle during the course, just reach out via email and I will help you.
The courses are made up of video lessons, handouts and quiz exercises that you can work through at your own pace. It’s hosted inside the Podia platform, which works similarly to most other online courseware out there. When you purchase, you’ll create an account that will grant you lifetime access to the course.
Forever! At least until I die and stop paying my hosting bills, or until the end of the universe. You can go at your own pace.
Enrolment is limited to enable me time to focus on supporting you and other students. When the doors close there will a hard policy of no further enrolments for this cohort. The course may become available again in a some point in the future. Current pricing cannot be guaranteed however. If you do feel this course for you, now is the time to grab your spot.
The fees are non-refundable. However if you are not 100% satisfied with the course, send me an email and we can discuss where it is not meeting your expectations. I will then endeavour to put that right for you so that you get the outcomes promised.
Tell me your concerns and I will help you. I am an Engineer not Marketeer so forgive me if things are not clear. Email me your questions at [email protected]